The Jury Is Out – These Are Our 4 Favourite Muesli Mixes
The breakfast cereal isle of the supermarket is one that we definitely avoid! Row upon row of boxes of junk food disguised as ‘the best start to your day’ – filled with sugar, refined (and often GMO) grains and varied array of additives concealed by numbers. And to be honest, once you’ve been clean eating for a while, you’ll find they taste little better than the cardboard they’re contained in!
To get the best start to your day you need to fuel yourself with real food packed with nutrients, fibre and protein. We like to vary our breakfasts up (as with all our meals) to ensure we’re getting a wide variety of foods and a broad spectrum of nutrients in our diet, so we’ll tend to rotate poached eggs, homemade porridge, omelettes and homemade muesli and season fruit.
For those folks who tend to prefer a ‘cereal’ breakfast, you can increase variety by making your own muesli and changing up the ingredients each time you make a new batch. The wonderful thing about muesli is there really are no rules so you can get as creative as you like.
We’ve compiled 4 of our favourite muesli recipes for you to try.
1. Muesli with Strawberries
Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 medium apples
8 tablespoons chilled yogurt (full fat)
3 tablespoons rolled oats
8 tablespoons apple juice (fresh is best)
4 tablespoons honey (or less! – to taste)
4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
4 tablespoons flaked almonds
4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Quarter apples and remove core. Grate coarsely into a bowl.
- Add chilled yogurt, rolled oats and apple juice and mix well.
- Add cinnamon powder and honey and mix well. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Chop strawberries and put half of them into 4 coffee mugs. Divide pumpkin seeds, almonds and walnuts equally into the mugs.
- Put the chilled muesli over them and top with remaining strawberries. Sprinkle some almonds and walnuts and serve
Source: Sanjeev Kapoor
2. Michelle Bridges’ “World’s best homemade muesli ever”
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 2/3 cup bran
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp wheatgerm
Put all the ingredients into a container and mix ’em up. Place half a cup in a bowl, then add desired milk or top with yoghurt. Add seasonal fruit (blueberries are my fave), then look out world.
Source: Daily Life
CLICK ON NEXT PAGE FOR 2 MORE DELICIOUS CLEAN MUESLI RECIPES