This Delicious Salad Will Recharge Your Batteries & Keep You Powering Through Your Day
An important principle to maintaining good energy levels through out the day is to ensure you are eating nutrient rich foods and consuming adequate protein throughout the day. This ensures your body is fuelled with all the energy-producing vitamins and minerals it needs, as well as the protein providing a longer lasting energy source.
The beneficial side effect of eating this way is that your blood sugar levels remain more stable (avoiding those energy crashes in the afternoon) and you are eating in a way that helps to burn excess fat and avoid gaining fat (because your body will use all of those nutrients and whatever protein it doesn’t need it will excrete (not store).
This is a really well balanced and delicious salad that is nutrient rich and high in protein. To ‘clean’ up this recipe we would recommend omitting the bacon, and you might consider using something like Danish or goat’s fetta cheese instead of the blue cheese. However, we are also firm believers in the 80/20 rule, so for an occasional treat you may like to make the recipe as is.
We also think this recipe could easily be adapted to a Mason Jar recipe – just remember to put the dressing on the bottom and layer the salad with the heavy and hard ingredients on the bottom working your way up to the softer ingredients on the top.
Kale Cobb Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 skinless boneless chicken breast
- 2 to 3 strips thick cut bacon (omit for ‘cleaner’ recipe)
- 1/2 avocado, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola or other blue cheese (goats feta is a nice ‘cleaner’ option)
- 2 boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 to 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl or a small jar with a watertight lid. Whisk or shake dressing together until well combined and emulsified. Refrigerate until salad is ready to toss.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and sear or grill until cooked through. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing thin or cubing.
- Cook bacon over medium to medium high heat until fat is rendered and bacon is brown and crisp. Immediately remove to a paper towel to absorb some of the fat. Once cool, crumble bacon.
- Assemble all salad ingredients, including the chicken and bacon, in a large bowl. Pour dressing over the top of salad and toss together using large tongs or salad servers.
Source: Brooklyn Homemaker