The Perfect Mid-Afternoon Snack
Somewhere between 2-4pm is often the ‘danger zone’ isn’t it?! Energy is lagging after lunch and toward the end of a busy day at school or work. That drop in energy can often lead to the vending machine or corner shop in search of a quick sugar hit. STOP! Have one of these instead!
This is where preparation is key. Make a batch of these on the weekend and pack them in your lunch box to get you through the late afternoon lag. They are perfect because they are packed full of protein (almonds and cashews) and sweetened naturally from the dates.
This recipe uses lime for flavor, but the beauty of a base recipe like this is that you can experiment with flavor – omit the lime and add something else.
Making up 2 or 3 different flavored treats like this and packaging them nicely can also make a lovely gift. Also check out some of our similar recipes: Blueberry Bites and Tahini Maple Energy Bites.
Key Lime Coconut Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 1/2 cups Medjool dates*, pitted
- zest and juice from 3 key limes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
- Add the almonds and cashews to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until nuts are finely chopped (but do not pulse too long, you do not want the nuts to turn into a paste).
- Add the dates, lime juice and zest. Pulse until the dates are finely chopped and the mixture starts to clump.
- Shape the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Roll in coconut to coat outside of the balls.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
*If Medjool dates are not available, any other pitted date will work.
Source: Spoonful of Flavor