This Delicious Warming Soup Is Clean Food Comfort Eating
Pumpkin Soup is a definite family favourite in most homes and often there is a treasured recipe handed down from Granny or even Great Granny that is still enjoyed today.
For those of you wanting to start your own ‘heirloom’ recipe this is a lovely recipe to start with – so full of goodness and being dairy and gluten free as well as vegan, pretty much anyone can enjoy it!
Served with some garlic toast or warmed sourdough bread this is comfort food at its best!
Dairy Free Pumpkin & Coconut Soup
- 3kg Kent pumpkin
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger OR thumb size piece fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground chilli (or to your taste)
- 1 litre vegetable stock, gluten free
- 500ml boiling water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Chopped fresh chilli
- Garlic toast
- Brown rice
- Extra coconut milk
- Peel and chop the pumpkin.
- Heat a large pot and fry the chopped onion and garlic in a little bit of water. Use oil if you prefer but it’s not necessary.
- Once the onions are well softened, add the cumin, ginger and chilli and stir.
- Add the pumpkin, potato, vegetable stock and the boiling water.
- Cover and simmer on a medium heat for about an hour until the vegetables are soft.
- Once they are done, I use a stick blender to blend the soup together. Sometimes if I think there might be too much liquid, I take a cup of the stock out and leave it aside to add in when blending so it’s to my preferred consistency. Better to have it thicker and add more in than have a thin soup from the start!
- Once blended, stir through the coconut milk. Serve with your choice of rice, garlic bread, avocado, some more coconut milk if you wish, salt and pepper.
Source: Food Matters TV