A Delicious Way To Enjoy Nutrient-Rich Pumpkin Seeds
As you prepare your Jack-O-Lanterns for Halloween, don’t throw out the seeds! They can be prepared into a very delicious snack that is super nutritious too.
Pumpkin seeds are rich in the mineral magnesium, which is critical for healthy heart and nervous system function, and a key nutrient involved in muscle relaxation. They are also rich in zinc which is an important nutrient for the immune system, healthy skin and prostate. Pumpkin seeds are also a good source of plant-based Omega-3 fatty acids which are anti-inflammatory and important for brain health. They are rich in the amino acid tryptophan which is a vital nutrient required for the production of serotonin (your happy/calm brain hormone) and melatonin (your sleep hormone).
So as you can see there are too many good reasons not to throw them out!
This delicious recipe adds a little zing to the seeds. If you don’t like the chilli, then drizzling the seeds with some Tamari and toasting them is another delicious way to enjoy them.
Chilli Lime Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- seeds from one large pumpkin (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt (divided)
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp melted butter or clarified butter
- zest of two limes
- up to 1 tbsp chili powder
- Clean the pumpkin seeds, removing any extraneous pumpkin flesh or strings from them, give them a good rinse then cover them in warm water plus one teaspoon unrefined sea salt for eighteen to twenty-four hours. After they’ve soaked for up to twenty-four hours, rinse them, drain them and pat them dry.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk the white of one egg and one-half teaspoon unrefined sea salt together until frothy, then stir in two tablespoons melted butter, the zest of two limes and up to one tablespoon chili powder.
- Toss cleaned and rinsed pumpkin seeds in the mixture of egg white, salt, butter and spices until all the seeds are thoroughly coated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the pumpkin seeds in a single layer.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 450 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately seven minutes, stirring about half-way through.
Source: Nourished Kitchen