Sweetening of this recipe is achieved with a little maple syrup, dates, raisins and stevia liquid in the frosting, so they are low sugar. However the amount of natural sugars in the recipe is nicely balanced out with the protein and fibre content, and of course the blood sugar stabilising qualities of the cinnamon.
You can make the recipe into a regular cake, or as suggested here, cut into portion-controlled snack bar size ready to add to a lunch box or have with your morning cuppa – but be warned, it may still be hard to stop at just one!
Healthy No Bake Carrot Cake Bars
- 5 medium carrots, tops cut off and scrubbed clean (no need to peel)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup whole pitted dates, packed
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, packed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried pineapple pieces (use more raisins if you don’t have these)
- 1/8 cup+1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt
For the frosting
- 8 ounces cold cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 20-30 drops liquid stevia
- Using the fine shredding attachment on your food processor, shred the carrots. (Alternatively, use a hand grater) Put in the S-blade and then add the walnuts, almonds, and dates. Process until everything is broken down and you have a crumbly mixture. Add the oats, raisins, pineapple, maple syrup, and spices and pulse until everything is well mixed. (Alternatively, you can chop the nuts and dates by hand and then mix in the rest of the ingredients. The texture may be slightly different, but it should still work. Disclaimer: I have not tried this.)
- Line an 8X8 inch pan with parchment paper or lightly oiled tin foil. Press the carrot mixture into the pan. Put it in the freezer to help it set while you are making the frosting.
- Rinse out the food processor and put the S-blade back in. Add the cream cheese, vanilla, and stevia and process until it is just mixed. Don’t over process.
- Use a spatula to put the frosting on top of the carrot cake bars. Cut into the size you desire. These need to be stored in the fridge because there is no sugar in the cream cheese. Enjoy!
Source: Happy Healthy Mama