They’ll Never Know There’s Vegetables Hidden Here!
Getting more vegetables in can sometimes be a challenge – particularly with children, but I know plenty of ‘big kids’ who don’t eat nearly enough vegetables too! Dessert, however……well, there always seems to be room for dessert, doesn’t there?! So here’s a sneaky way to help those ‘non-veggie lovers’ have their cake and eat it too (pardon the pun)!
This delicious and decadent raw chocolate cheesecake recipe, made from healthy whole ingredients also contains a full CUP of green vegetables! Amazing! And just because it’s free of dairy and refined sugar, don’t think it won’t be deliciously rich and creamy.
Filled with nutrient rich ingredients like nuts, coconut oil, and vegetables, there is no guilt attached to this recipe! The only amendment we would recommend is to use raw cacao powder rather than cocoa for a richer nutrient profile.
For the crust:
- 2 cup raw pecans
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
For the filling:
- 2 cups raw cashews (no need to soak)
- 1 cup peeled & diced zucchini
- ½ cup cocoa powder*
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- Prepare the crust by placing the pecans in a food processor fitted with an S-blade, and grind them into fine meal. Add in the rest of the crust ingredients, and process again until well combined. Line the bottom of an 8-inch spring form pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper, then press the crust evenly into the bottom of the pan. Place the pan in the freezer to set, while you prepare the filling.
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, process the raw cashews until they are a fine powder. Add in the zucchini, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and sea salt, and blend again until a smooth and creamy batter is formed. Add in the melted coconut oil, and blend again to fully incorporate the ingredients into a uniform filling.
- Pour the filling into the frozen pie crust, and allow to set for 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Serve directly from the freezer, for best texture.
For a quick strawberry sauce:
- Combine 5 ounces of strawberries (thawed frozen ones ok) with 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup and blend until completely smooth. Mix with 5 ounces of chopped strawberries, for texture, and spoon a generous amount over each slice!
This cheesecake will become quite soft if left out at room temperature, so be sure to keep it chilled!