Think Key Lime Pie & Mojitos….In Ice Cream Form
There’s always time to enjoy ice cream – any season of the year! Whether you’re escaping the heat of summer right now, or daydreaming about the warmer days to come, this incredible ice cream hits the spot.
It contains completely healthy vegan ingredients and is dairy-free, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free. And nutrient rich with the inclusion of Maca and lucuma powders.
Lucuma powder is made from the subtropical super fruit (Pouteria Lucuma) that has been eaten by Peruvians since 200 A.D. It is rich in minerals potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and iron and contains high amounts of antioxidant beta-carotene (due to its rich yellow-orange colour).
Maca, a root that belongs to the radish family, is most commonly available in powder form. Grown in the mountains of Peru, it has been called “Peruvian ginseng.” Maca’s benefits have been long valued, and has recently been popularized as a food ingredient. Maca is rich in vitamin B vitamins, C, and E. It provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids.
Both powders can be easily purchased in good health food stores or online.
Avocado Ice Cream With Lime And Mint!
Avocado, lime, mint, coconut oil and lucuma powder combine to create a creamy, tangy, fresh, smooth and absolutely gorgeous raw vegan ice cream. Enjoy!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seed butter, or other seed – or nut butters such cashew butter – or almond butter
- 1 large lime, juice and zest
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1-2 tsp pure vanilla powder
- 1 tsp lucuma powder, can be ruled out
- 1 tsp Maca Powder, can be ruled out
- 2 1/2 tablespoons agave syrup
- A pinch of Himalayan salt
- A few mint leaves, roughly 6-7 pieces
- Mint leaves
- coconut flakes
- Mix all the ingredients with a hand blender or in a food processor. Taste and have possibly more acidity or sweetness. Note that lime flavor will develop more the longer the batter stands, so if you are unsure if it is sufficiently acidic, I recommend you to wait 10-15 minutes and try again before possibly adding more juice or zest.
- Then run the ice cream in a ice cream machine* for about 30-40 minutes or until ice cream is frozen and creamy. I served my ice cream right out of the ice cream machine without setting it in the freezer, then it becomes as soft ice cream in texture. Of course you can freeze it and eat it later as well.
If you do not have an ice cream machine, it is equally good to freeze it immediately and stir occasionally first hour.