Stay In And Enjoy This Wholesome Baked Dessert
This gluten-free fruit crumble is aptly named since it can be made with whatever fruit is in season – berries, peaches, pears, apples, whatever you like. So the nutritional profile will vary depending on what fruits you choose – but if they are fresh and organic you can be assured the nutritional benefit will be good!
The version pictured is a berry crumble using mulberries, Saskatoon berries, strawberries and rhubarb, but you really can use whatever fruits you like.
You may like to add a 1/2 cup of honey to the fruit mix depending on your taste, but generally we think there is enough sweetness in fresh seasonal fruit and leave that out.
The crumble topping is made from gluten free ingredients and this really couldn’t be a simpler recipe to assemble and bake.
For the fruit
- 6 cups fruit of choice (chopped roughly the same size)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
For the Topping
- ⅔ cup brown rice flour
- ⅔ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup sliced or slivered almonds
- ½ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together the fruit and place in a glass baking dish.
- Mix topping until slightly crumbly and sprinkle by hand over fruit mixture, spreading evenly.
- If fruit doesn’t look completely covered, can sprinkle on addition flour, nuts/seeds until surface is covered.
- Bake 40-50 minutes.
Source: Meghan Telpner