These Are “Life Changing”!
For those of us who have relied heavily in the past on commercial breakfast cereals and toast for breakfast may wonder where to start with ‘cleaning up’ that first meal of the day. It often requires discarding firmly held beliefs about what is acceptable breakfast food! Nutrient-devoid, highly refined and sweetened processed cereals really don’t cut it.
Since breakfast is the meal that is designed to ‘break the fast’ and set you up with energy for the day, it makes more sense to eat meals more commonly enjoyed at lunch or dinner, for breakfast!
This is a great recipe for ‘breaking those old rules’ – it’s the perfect alternative to bread for breakfast, nutrient dense wholefood ingredients and even nut-free, so perfect for the school lunchbox or those with allergy. Serve with an egg, some spinach and avocado and you have a seriously good start to your day!
- 2 cups grated raw pumpkin
- ¼ cup Goat’s feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon psyllium*
- 1 large handful coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 2 eggs, free range
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Coconut oil, for shallow frying
- To a large bowl, add grated pumpkin, feta, coconut flour, psyllium, coriander and chilli flakes.
- In a separate bow, beat eggs and add to the above mixture. Combine well.
- Form medium balls, molding each well with your hands.
- Heat coconut oil in a small frypan, flatten the fritters and shallow fry, flipping half way with an egg-flip. Repeat for additional fritters, adding more coconut oil each time. If you are just serving one, you may like to store remaining fritters in the fridge and fry fresh as required. Leftovers will keep for a couple of days.
* Yes, you need psyllium. Grab some from your local health food store or the health food section of the supermarket.
Delicious served with served with poached eggs, avocado mash and fresh spinach.
Source: The Natural Nutritionist