Enjoy Multiple Health & Weight Loss Benefits From This Delicious Smoothie
Figs are a rich source of dietary fiber, and have good levels of vitamin B5 and B6, copper, potassium, manganese and phenolic antioxidants.
High fiber fruits, such as figs have numerous benefits for health such as improving digestion and bowel function, improving satiety (thereby assisting with weight management), and protect against post-menopausal breast cancer. prostate and colon cancer.
The high levels of potassium in figs assist in reducing hypertension and stabilising insulin release and combined with the phenolic antioxidants help to lower the risk of heart disease.
Since fresh figs are one of the most perishable fruits, they should be purchased only a day or two in advance of when you are planning on eating them. Look for figs that have a rich, deep color and are plump and tender, but not mushy. They should have firm stems and be free of bruises. Smelling figs can also give you clues into their freshness and taste. They should have a mildly sweet fragrance and should not smell sour, which is an indication that they may be spoiled.
For the most antioxidants, choose fully ripened figs.
- 4 cups fresh figs (I prefer calimyrna or adriatic – the green ones with pink syrupy insides)
- 2 pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp. fresh vanilla bean powder
- 1 cup young coconut water
- (Optional: add in 1-2 cups of tender leafy greens like butter leaf lettuce)
- Place all of the above ingredients in a blender, and pulse-blend for 30-60 seconds or until smooth. Enjoy!
Recipe Source: Live Love Fruit