Not Your Typical Vegetarian Tacos
Often ‘vegetarian’ tacos or other Mexican dishes involves simply replacing the meat with beans. But not in this case! This delicious variation will have even the meat-eaters wanting more!
The ‘meat-substitute’ in this recipe is delicious earthy Portobello mushrooms, marinated and grilled, and served with a nutrition-packed salsa verde.
The original recipe comes from Vegetarian Times, and we have altered it slightly by replacing canola oil (an oil made from genetically modified rapeseed, which has been further genetically modified to be Roundup ready) with much healthier, extra virgin olive oil.
For more information about which cooking oils to use and avoid check out our recent articles.
(Read more about why canola oil is not a healthy choice at Authority Nutrition)
Grilled Portobello Tacos with Salsa Verde
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 6 large portobello mushroom caps
- 6 6-inch soft corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- Vegan sour cream, optional
- 4 tomatillos, chopped (or 1 cup canned)
- 1 large green bell pepper or poblano chile, roughly chopped
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp. organic sugar or agave nectar
- 1 ¼ tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat. To make Marinade: combine all ingredients in small bowl.
To make Tacos:
- Brush mushroom caps with marinade. Grill mushrooms 3 to 5 minutes per side. Cool until easy to handle, then slice into strips.
- *Tip: Don’t worry if the mushroom caps seem slightly undercooked when you pull them from the grill; leave them out on a plate, and they will continue to cook (this is called carryover cooking).
To make Salsa Verde:
- Purée all ingredients in food processor 1 minute, or until smooth. Pour salsa over mushroom strips, and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Lightly warm tortillas 15 seconds per side in skillet or on griddle. Fill tortillas with sliced mushrooms, avocado slices, tomatoes, and cabbage. Top each taco with sour cream, if using.