Improve Your Workout Performance With This Delicious Combo
This vibrantly colored salad is a stunning example of ‘food as medicine’. There are so many wonderful health benefits derived from these delicious ingredients – where to start?
Roasted beetroot is such an amazing flavourful ingredient for a salad. The powerful phytonutrients that give beets their deep crimson color have cancer protective qualities, and the ‘betaine’ content of beetroots are highly anti-inflammatory. Beets are also high in natural nitrates which the body converts to nitric oxide to relax and dilate your blood vessels, improve blood flow and lower blood pressure. They may even improve your workout performance (due again to the high nitrates), enhancing tolerance to high-intensity exercise. And of course they’re packed full of other essential vitamins, minerals and fiber.
And don’t forget about the greens! The leaves are also rich in protein, fiber and loads of essential vitamins and minerals – especially iron (even more than spinach – move over Popeye!), calcium and vitamin C.
Add to this nourishing banquet some high protein, high calcium quinoa and you’ve got a powerhouse of nutrition!
- 4 beets with the greens attached
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel beets and cut them into small bite-sized pieces. Toss beets with one teaspoon of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place beets on a rimmed baking sheet and pop in the oven for thirty minutes or until the beets are fork tender.
- While the beets are cooking, heat remaining olive oil in a nonstick sauté pan over a medium high heat. Reserve 2 tbsp of onion and set aside. Toss the remainder of the onion into the oil and cook for about five minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Stir in beet greens and apple cider vinegar. Allow to cook until the greens are just wilted – this will only take a minute or so.
- Allow everything to cool a bit before assembling the salad.
- In a large bowl combine the two tablespoons of raw onion that you reserved earlier with dill, beet greens, roasted beets, and quinoa. Season with salt and pepper.
- Gently toss in the feta cheese and serve. Enjoy!
Source: Clean & Delicious